Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Genealogists Prayer

Genealogy is my pasttime, I shall not stray,
It maketh me lie down and examine half-buried tombstones;
It leadeth me into still courthouses.
It restoreth my ancestral knowledge,
It leadeth me into the paths of census records and ship passenger lists for my surnames' sake.
Yea, though I wade through the shadows of research libraries
And microfilm readers, I shall fear no discouragement,
for a strong urge is with me.
Curiosity and motivation, they comfort me.
It demandeth preparation of storage space;
For the acquisition of countless documents.
It annointest my head with burning, midnight oil,
My family group sheets runneth over.
Surely, birth, marriage, and death record dates shall follow me
All the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the
House of the Family History Center forever.

-author unknown

2 comments:

  1. I awarded you the "Friendly Blogger Award". You can go here to pick it up: http://beckysgraceandglory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grabbing this blog post....I've never seen this prayer before!

    ReplyDelete